If you’ve ever been to the loft that overlooks the Lagunitas Brewery, you’ve probably seen this orange couch. I’ve sat in it on numerous occasions. As I remember it, it’s a pretty comfy sofa, and you sink right into it.
We are currently situated in an interesting slice of American brewing history. All breweries start small, even Adolphus Busch and Frederick Miller started with modest breweries before becoming the global mega powers they are today. The key advantage that AB-InBev and MillerCoors currently have in the market, is time. These brewery empires were built over more than a century of brewing and brand recognition. American craft brewing as we know it today, is roughly 25-30 years old. You don't tackle
Sheesh, you try and do something other than sit at your computer all day, and all hell breaks loose. At least I have an excuse, sort of. My wife and I just bought another house, which we’re having some work done on before we move in, and that’s been occupying a healthy percentage of my [...]
Today is Don Feinberg’s 57th birthday. Don, along with his wife Wendy Littlefield, runs the Belgian export company Vanberg & DeWulf. Their portfolio includes such great beer lines as Dupont, Castelain and Dubuisson (Bush). They were also the original founders of Brewery Ommegang. Last year was their 30th anniversary of being involved in the beer [...]
I received a press release this morning that Anheuser-Busch InBev is buying a controlling interest in Goose Island Brewing. ABI will pay $22.5 million for a 58% share of the Chicago brewery and the remaining 42% currently owned by the Craft Brewers Alliance will be sold to ABI for an additional $16.3 million in cash, [...]
Today is the 40th birthday of Jonathan Cutler, brewmaster/owner of Piece Brewing in Chicago. His brewpub makes great pizza and even better beer. Plus, he’s a terrific, fun person. So join me in wishing Jonathan a very happy birthday.
Serving beer and pizza at the CBC Reception at the Field Museum.